Friday, October 4, 2013

Low Fat Pumpkin Muffins

Only ten weeks left! It’s starting to feel like I’ve been pregnant forever so I’m happy to be in the home stretch. Unfortunately, I’ve reached another milestone in this pregnancy and have officially gained the full amount of recommended weight (and I’m not talking about the lower end of the range). With ten weeks left to go, I am a little disappointed in myself. I have vowed to reel it in and chill out with the evil chocolate that's always tempting me at the office. Don’t get me wrong, I fully intend to indulge here and there, but would like to try to exercise a little self-control.

The arrival of fall has been joined by a new craving for anything and everything pumpkin flavored. While the Starbucks pumpkin bread is totally worth all 390 calories, here is a 120 calorie treat that is tasty and satisfies my craving.

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp table salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2/3 cup natural applesauce
1 cup canned pumpkin
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup egg substitute
1 egg
2/3 cup fat-free milk
Non-stick cooking spray
powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat muffin tin with cooking spray (recipe makes about 15 muffins).
2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl combine applesauce, pumpkin, sugar, egg substitute, egg, and milk; mix thoroughly.
4. Stir the flour mixture into the applesauce mix.
5. Pour the batter into muffin tins. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
6. Let cool for about ten minutes. Sprinkle powdered sugar.
7. Enjoy!



Even my toughest critic approves!



xoxo,
Chrissy

No comments:

Post a Comment